How Do I Get a Fit Note?
- From the 6th April 2010 a new Fit note was introduced which replaced the old doctors sick note. The new fit note is called the 'Statement of Fitness for Work' and is used in England, Scotland and Wales. It has more information than the previous doctor's sick note.
The Main changes are: You DO NOT need to see the doctor for an illness lasting less than 7 days.
- Your GP is able to say if they think you are 'not fit for work' or 'may be fit for work'
- Your GP can add advice to the note for your employer, on how simple changes to the job you do may allow you to return to work earlier.
- There will be fewer kinds of medical statement forms issued by GPs.
- You only need a doctor's certificate during the first seven days of illness if you wish to claim benefits other than Statutory fit Pay: For example, benefits under the private insurance scheme, or to take your pre-booked holiday as fit leave instead.
- Hospital doctors provide certificates for patients who are currently in hospital.
- If your employer insists, then the doctor can issue you with a private certificate for a small fee.
- You do not normally need a doctor's certificate for the first seven days of illness.
- The Statutory fit Pay Regulations state that employers are required to accept self-certification notes (filled in by you) for the first seven days of illness.
- These are available from the practice and your employer may also hold some.
- Alternatively you can download and print off a copy yourself click here.
All employers must comply with these regulations
- You do not require any form of certification during the first FOUR days off work.
- If you take up to SEVEN days because you not well enough to attend work, then you must fill in a self-certificate.
- Anything OVER seven days means you will need a doctor's certificate and will need to visit a doctor to acquire this.
Private fit Notes
- Some employers or insurance schemes may ask you to provide a private fit note.
- There will be a fee if you require a private note for the first seven days of your illness.
- The practice will be able to advise of the current fee, and it would normally be expected that your employer would cover this cost for you as doctor's notes are not normally required for the first week of any illness.
Click here to complete the online repeat fit note request
PLEASE NOTE: You must be a currently registered patient at Ramsey Health Centre to complete an online fit note request. Please do not use the form if you are registered elsewhere.
Doctor’s Notes for On-going Illness
- If you are suffering from a long-term problem that the doctor is aware of and will not need to see you in order to issue a further fit note, please complete the e-form below.
- Please allow 2 working days for your request to be processed before collecting from the practice.
- All fields must be completed for the form to be processed.
- We recommend that when using this e-form you print off and keep a copy of the acceptance page (which pops up after the submit button is pressed).
- To use this system, you will have to enter information about yourself that will be sent to us across the internet.
- This e-form information is not encrypted, but will be no less secure than a normal email.
- We can not guarantee that this information will not be seen by others.